I have moved! Come find me at karenkeen.com!
Having grown up in the Church, I have lived and breathed the Bible for a long time, first in Sunday School and later as a biblical scholar. I know first hand how this wonderful and strange text has a profound impact on identity and the way people move in the world. Of particular importance is how Scripture is read and interpreted. That crucial step makes the difference between gleaning life-giving truth or reaping harmful and distorted ideology.
It is because Bible reading has such an impact on personal and communal well-being that I am passionate about helping people navigate it. My goal is to generate meaningful reflection on questions like: What is the Bible? How is it used in faith communities and in the public sphere? In what ways are people’s thinking and behavior influenced by interpretations of it? What value does the Bible have for the average person in everyday life?
I am especially interested in making biblical scholarship accessible to a general audience. I enjoy teaching in an academic setting, but I also love dialoguing at the local coffee shop, facilitating a discussion in Sunday School groups, or musing with those who are religiously disaffected over the meaning of life, God, and sacred texts.
For more information on classes or workshops I teach, see Things I Like To Teach.
Fun Facts and Trivia about Karen R. Keen:
- Ph.D. Candidate in Judaism and Christianity in Antiquity at Marquette University (Old Testament specialization)
- Th.M. in biblical studies (Duke University Divinity School), M.A. in exegetical theology (Western Seminary), M.S. in counseling (Western Oregon University), B.S. in Psychology (Corban University; formerly Western Baptist College)
- Certificate in Spiritual Direction (under Catholic Sisters Faithful Companions of Jesus)
- Teacher-at-Large (academic, church, and community settings)
- Freelance writer and editor
- Founder of The Redwood Center for Spiritual Care
- California girl transplanted to Durham, North Carolina
- Tree lover and hugger, especially of redwoods.
For the Super Curious: My CV